As Simple As Possible, As Complex As Necessary is a blog focused on exploring the balance between simplicity and complexity, in particular as it relates to the development of web systems with ColdFusion.
- The simplicity of Adaptive ImagesA new ColdFusion version of the server-side solution to automatically create, cache, and deliver device-appropriate versions of your website's images.
- Faster spreadsheet generation from queries in ColdFusionStop using SpreadsheetAddRows() to populate spreadsheets from queries. The cfspreadsheet tag does it much faster.
- Too simple? Flat UI formsThe current vogue for ultra simplicity in web design is generally welcome, but sometimes borders, gradients and drop-shadows are necessary.
- ColdFusion ORM quirks: ordering one-to-many children via a link tableFirst in a series on minor aspects of CF ORM which have tripped me up.
- Simpler param syntax in cfscriptAn apparently undocumented way of writing cfparam equivalents in script is both simpler and more consistent (via Adam Cameron and Sean Corfield).
- Error using a method call as a default function argumentCalling a CFC method as the default argument value for another function in the same component results in a "can't load a null" error if the method and argument names are the same and the call is not scoped.
- Too simple? USB power chargingBeing able to charge your smartphone or other device using any standard micro USB cable is convenient, but introduces a security risk.
- Too simple? Contactless payment cardsAre RFID payment cards that don't require authentication or confirmation an example of technology that is too simple?
- A simpler way of converting a query column to an array in ColdFusionHow to convert a query column to an array using built-in functions rather than looping.
- Integrating imgscalr into ColdFusion as a replacement for ImageScaleToFit()How to use the java library imgscalr in ColdFusion as a replacement for ImageScaleToFit().